Monday, April 9, 2007

Cheap Thrill

I was out with Joyce Yao, one of my ex-schoolmates last week - she works for The Theatre Practice, which is committed not only to theatre research but also to community arts intitiative, such as their recent youth storytelling competition and their Poor Theatre Series, which provides emerging theatre practitioners with rehearsal space and an opportunity to perform their work to a non-paying audience. I wanted to know how come I'd never heard about this free theatre series - and realised that cheap and free theatre generally gets less publicity and media coverage than its more commercial counterparts - even in the case of DramaBox's Sing Your Way Home in last year's Singapore Theatre Festival, or Theatreworks's recent multimedia dance performance, Drift Net.

So, as an antidote to the capitalist sensationalism of 251, I'm proud to announce the launch of a listings page for theatre and dance costing $15 and under:

Cheap Thrill
http://cheap-thrill.blogspot.com


Feel free to write to me if you want your production listed. Any performance event may be listed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good initiative...!

benny